- What responsivity is?
- Why is it beneficial to have responsive web?
- Pros and cons of responsive websites
- Sample of responsivity
- SEO optimization and responsivity
- How to test responsivity?
Responsivity of websites (display of websites on smartphones and tablets) is discussed more and more these days. Let's focus on the explanation of this word and clarification if the responsivity is necessary and if companies apply it on their websites and why.
Responsive web shows websites clearly also to smartphone's and tablet's users. It helps to magnify the text to be responsible to the size of the device to be well readable.
Because of this extension, menus are often hidden and are edited to save space on the screen, for example as a rolling menu.
Pictures get smaller and the whole
appearance of the website is vertically narrower
In the year of 2014, smartphones and tablets overcame desktop PCs in the website's traffic and they started to lead in this area. Responsivity has become a necessity which adapts ideal web appearance on mobile devices, as well as it places results higher in search engines. If you expect wider functionality, you can try to develop a mobile app.
In the April of 2015, Google invented a script, which takes huge impact on responsivity and it takes it into account when placing website in searching results of keywords. The result, which is responsive, is "mobile-friendly" marked.
More and more customers are searching products and services online. It is more than 70 % over selling in brick-and-mortar stores. The trend is that massive, that if any company ignored these facts in the future, it is very likely that is would disappear from the market during few months. If you have old website, it is convenient to create it responsibly together with re-designing the current one.
- It helps with the readability and clarity of the text on a website on mobile devices;
- when changing the size of the browser, the text and pictures adapt;
- easier manageability of the navigation in website's menu;
- responsive webs are preferred over non-responsive ones;
- responsivity helps with better SEO;
- PPC advertisement is an important part of IT marketing and without responsivity the mobile version is a nonsense.
- If the responsivity isn't correct, it can make the web unreadable;
- most of graphic and java script effect are useless on a responsive web;
- it is harder to make a web responsive if it is built on web presentations;
- web providers who display adverts must adapt it.
Let's have a look on Apple Inc.'s website with focus on responsivity. We will display the web on iPhone 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPad tablet devices. In the pictures below you can see the adapting menu, which is shown completely different on iPad. Pictures are enlarged proportionately and the text is also changing.
How it is stated above, responsivity helps in searching results. If your website is on the 3rd page in a search engine, most likely nobody will visit it and nobody will know your products and services you promote online. To get bigger traffic (which is an effort of SEO), responsivity must be the major requirement when editing or creating a web.
To find out if the responsivity of your website is okay and it is well-searchable by Google, you can use the tool Mobile friendly test. It will confirm that your website is fully responsive or it will recommend adjustments.
Gleton s.r.o. 2017